We have been serving people of all ages with and without disabilities for over 65 years.
Founded in 1950, the Rehabilitation Institute of Southern California (RIO) originated when a group of concerned parents from Orange came together to form the Orange County Society for Crippled Children and Adults. The organization provided Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy services.
Occupying six acres on the corner of Tustin and La Veta in the City of Orange, the organization began in an old farmhouse with a barn on an avocado orchard. Over the years, the campus expanded in order to make room for more programs.
The name of the organization changed in 1973 to the Rehabilitation Institute of Orange. This change was necessary to accommodate RIO’s expanding service programs. For corporate reasons, RIO’s name changed one more time in 1983. The organization was re-named Rehabilitation Institute of Southern California but still recognized the RIO initials.
In November 1996, RIO opened its 2nd campus in Fullerton, CA. This 17,000 square foot building houses the Child Development Program, Transitional Adult Program, and Community-Based Adult Services.
In November 2001, RIO expanded its services to South County by acquiring a center in San Clemente. The campus offers Community-Based Adult Services.